Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/1996 00:48:00
Peter Seebach wrote:

> >off_t is not "basic functionality" as far as ANSI C is concerned.
>
> But fpos_t is.  :)

Yes, but the format of an fpos_t is unspecified. The type can only
be used with the f[gs]etpos() functions. AFAIK Posix.1 has no
similar limitations on off_t (would be rather silly if an
application were not allowed to convert file size to some
human readable representation).

> No... I think long should be the longest type, and int the most comfortable
> type (but possibly 32 bits on the alpha, just so there's enough types to
> go around.)  That should hold us until ANSI fixes it for C9X.

If sizeof(long) != sizeof(void *), lots of software is going to break;
much more than in the current situation with sizeof(long) < sizeof(off_t).

Waldi