Subject: Re: libgcc won't build (960210)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/1996 13:42:54
>> If you use $DESTDIR, "make install" in gnu/usr.bin/gcc will put the
>> new bits in $DESTDIR/usr/bin and they won't get used at all.
>>
>> (Having just been bitten by this myself, this is frustrating.)
>
> I don't see why you should necessarily expect that you should be able
> to do a complete build of -current without installing any of it.
> Include files are one reason you can't; this libgcc things is another.

I understand why this is being said, but this is like saying all that work
to support DESTDIR in the source Makefiles is all for naught.

Personally I see no reason why you need to install parts of the system to
make a full system build work.  The DESTDIR stuff seems to work magnificently
(with the one exception of <curses.h>).  The whole point of DESTDIR, among
other things, seems to be to allow you to build a complete system without
biffing your existing one, which is an excellent idea until & unless you
know that a complete build will work.  Requiring that you overwrite parts of
your existing system to get through a compile or two of the new system seems
to me to go completely against that concept.  *Shrug*

	- Greg