Subject: Re: libgcc won't build (960210)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/1996 10:58:19
>>> Trying to build everything, I get this:

>>> /mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:82: unknown machine mode `__word__'

>> You're building new gcc with old, probably.

>> When I ran into this [I installed some pieces of the new gcc, which
>> let me build libgcc].

> So what is one supposed to do if one doesn't want to install a new
> gcc?

One does it by hand in some way.  Essentially, you can't do a complete
build of the new gcc installation with the old.  You can install the
partial new gcc somewhere temporary and play games with your path, or
you can issue commands by hand, or whatever.

> If you use $DESTDIR, "make install" in gnu/usr.bin/gcc will put the
> new bits in $DESTDIR/usr/bin and they won't get used at all.

> (Having just been bitten by this myself, this is frustrating.)

I don't see why you should necessarily expect that you should be able
to do a complete build of -current without installing any of it.
Include files are one reason you can't; this libgcc things is another.
It might be nice to be able to, but I see it as something that would be
nice but not worth putting much effort into.  If you want to figure out
what needs changing to be able to do this, send-pr the result, and who
knows, it might get taken up.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu