Subject: Re: panic in nfs code ?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1996 23:00:26
On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Michael Graff wrote:

> I've not had a panic, but here's one for the bug list.
>
> Last night, I was editing some images, using xv, and would save and
> load a lot of tiff's and save them as gif's.
>
> At one point I had about 3 graff2.gif's in my directory.  This was
> strange.  When I deleted one of them, all three went away.  When I
> saved something under that name again, all three came back.

I saw a similar wierdness today running a NFS3 kernel (from yesterday)
against a Solaris 2.4 server...I untarred a source tree, compiled it,
installed it, then went to rm -rf the source, except that the rm failed
since the directory tree was loaded with .nfs* files (the things the
server creates when you delete an open file) and I couldn't remove them
except by writing to them (i.e. ls >> .nfsXXXXX)!! Something must be
bizarre with the way deletion and keeping track of open files is handled.

This was on a 24 Feb 96-SUP kernel, with all of userland freshly built
(make build). This never happened with the pre-nfs3 kernel...

--Aaron

--
Aaron B. Brown
abrown@eecs.harvard.edu