Subject: Re: libgcc won't build (960210)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1996 22:08:01
> Trying to build everything, I get this:

> cc -O -I/mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../common -I/mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch  -I/mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch/i386  -c -DL__gcc_bcmp -o __gcc_bcmp.o /mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c
> /mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:76: no data type for mode `XF'
> /mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:82: unknown machine mode `__word__'
> *** Error code 1

> I'm using the 960210 sources, but getting the most recent gcc source
> from the tree didn't help a bit.  What am I doing wrong?

You're building new gcc with old, probably.

When I ran into this on the SPARC (the first time I did a build after
the switch to the new gcc), I posted to port-sparc, where a helpful
soul said to do a "make install" in gnu/usr.bin/gcc and then pick up
where it left off.  I did this; the make install installed in about six
subdirectories and then crashed because libgcc hadn't been built, but
it had installed enough pieces for the build of libgcc to complete ok.
The rest of the build finished without incident.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu