Subject: Can't log in after fsck -c 2 on /usr ...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: jefF rizzO <riz@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/1996 19:22:50
Buoyed by my recent success at getting the tape on my sparc to work under
netbsd, I decided to move my filesystems to 4.4 format.  So I made a backup
(which I must admit I'm not 100% confident in, hence I haven't restored it
yet), dropped into single-user mode, and ran fsck -c 2 on /usr (and /home
and /usr/src, but I assume /usr is the source of the problem)

Now, when I boot multiuser, sendmail complains that it can't open its SMTP
socket, and worse yet, I can't log in with ANY username.  I've tried
booting single-user and removing root's password, but no dice.

Any idea what I did wrong, before I try and completely re-do my system?
Note that I did NOT upgrade / to 4.4; I wanted to make another backup of
it first, but never got the chance.  :-(

Some (possibly) relevant information:
Sparc 2 running netbsd-current as of 23Feb 1996 (kernel) (binaries are current
as of 19Feb)

I was also attempting to move /var to a separate partition... I checked all the
relevant permissions, and they seemed OK.  I've backed out those changes,
but no luck.

Help!  Am I an idiot, or just unlucky?  :-)  Thanks in advance for ANY help.

+j