Subject: Re: identd not responding (?)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/1996 17:13:58
> an irc server is denying service to our site because we allegedly
> don't run identd.  I *know* we have an identd.

This will sound stupid, but are you sure it's turned on in your
inetd.conf?

> The error message they send refers to "pidentd" - what's the
> differenc?

None, AFAIK; they're just two different names for basically the same
thing.

You might ask exactly what the error in question is: are they seeing
connection refused, connection timed out, malformatted reply, no reply
before some timeout expires, a reply that claims the connection doesn't
exist, what?  Each of those examples points in a different direction.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu