Subject: Re: Please read this. (Re: SUP and FTP errors)
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: the Riz <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/1996 12:40:50
You wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:13:52 -0600 (CST)  scottr@plexus.com wrote:
> > It was determined some time ago problems with a certain router between
> > many hosts on the West Coast of the US and the rest of the world.  If you
> > happen to be fortunate enough to have your traffic go through this router,
> > it will eventually choke on a "magic bit pattern" that _will_ get
> > corrupted.  (This problem affects Netcom, as well, by the way... a site
> > that undoubtably gets far more traffic.)

> Ah, but people expect this kind of lossage from Netcom.  Well at least I have
> as a subscriber.  It's sad that this problem persists and yet the people
> who own the hardware haven't corrected it yet :-(

Hey!  As pointed out in another mail, the problem appears to exist in a
NetEdge at another ISP.  The *really* bad problems which we were
experiencing before was the result of data corruption on mae-west which
affected a *lot* more than just NetBSD.org and NETCOM.  Plus, I believe
(I'm not certain of this) that Best had a problem with their NetEdge as
well.

Disclaimer:   in my other life, I work for NETCOM.

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz
riz@boogers.sf.ca.us