Subject: Re: netbsd on laptops
To: Daniel G. Pouzzner <douzzer@prez.mit.edu>
From: Marc Baudoin <Marc.Baudoin@hsc.fr.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1996 16:17:55
Daniel G. Pouzzner <douzzer@prez.mit.edu> writes:

> If you are running NetBSD on a laptop, I would like to hear about your
> successes and failures. I am particularly concerned about PCMCIA
> support, since I will need to run an ethernet/modem (3c589+modem
> card) and scsi interface (adaptec apa-1460 aka slimscsi).

Well, I run NetBSD 1.0 (and I'll upgrade to 1.1 in the next few weeks) on a
SAGER NP 9600 (Pentium 90, 24 Mb RAM, 1.3 Gb HD) since August.  I have a
3C589 Ethernet card and it runs fine with Stefan Grefen's patches for the
kernel.

What would be really cool (but it seems that the NetBSD people think
seriously about that) is to integrate officially these patches into the
NetBSD source tree.  Many people are using FreeBSD (or Linux) because
NetBSD doesn't run "out of the box" with PC Cards.

--
Marc Baudoin              | e-mail    <Marc.Baudoin@hsc.fr.net>
Hervé Schauer Consultants |