Subject: Tuning NFS server performance?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arne Helme <arne@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1996 22:27:27
Except for the parameter to nfsd to start more daemons, what other
parameters or tricks can I use to tune NFS server peformance in
NetBSD?  Is NBUF of any relevance for a machine with much memory?

I have been asked to install NetBSD/i386 on a 200 MHz Pentium-Pro
system with 128 MB of memory and a SCSI-2 in order to compare its
performance against that of Solaris 2.4 on the same system.  In the
initial tests NetBSD is outperformed rather badly although I run with
16 nfsds.

The first thing I discovered was that NetBSD did not detect more than
64 MB om memory on this machine, but Charles Hannum provided me with a
small hack to machdep.c that fixed this problem.

-- Arne
| Arne Helme, http://www.pegasus.esprit.ec.org/people/arne/index.html  |
|  Inf/SPA, Univ. of Twente, Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands    |
|  PHONE: +31-53-4894178, FAX: +31-53-4894590, HOME: +31-53-4326377    |
| arne@acm.org, arne@pegasus.esprit.ec.org,  "Die Stille ist Abstrakt" |