Subject: Re: /tmp and /var/tmp
To: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley14.res.iastate.edu>
From: James Graham - Systems Anarchist <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1996 09:58:03
Chris Csanady sez:
/*
 * i was just curious what the purpose or significance of these directories
 * are.  is there some sort of convention as to what kind of stuff goes in
 * each?  im just curious because it seems that gcc puts its tmp files in
 * /var/tmp now.  im not sure, but i could have swown that they were put in
 * /tmp before.  and that is the one that i have as my mfs tmp dir.. :\

I was under the impression that editor temp files went into /var/tmp so
as not to be lost on reboot when /tmp got cleared (either explicitly
or due to /tmp being mfs), while things like compiler temporaries, X
sockets and other lifespan-specific temporary files would go into /tmp
for precisely the _opposite_ reason (i.e. "Go away, the party's over.").

 *
 * later,
 * chris
 *