Subject: Re: FYI -- Linux for PowerMac (fwd)
To: None <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/1996 12:11:43
> > > The fact that the OSF and Apple both believe Linux to be "Real" and they
> > > ignored us.
> >
> > Nope.  The fact is, OSF thought Linux was messy enough to make porting
> > interesting, or, using their own word, "challenging".  Porting BSD was
> > a piece o' cake for them, so they boldly went where no one has gone
> > before (I know there's been a group of people working on Linux server
> > on CMU MK for x86, but my impression is that OSF didn't reuse the
> > existing Linux server code).
>
> That's strange. When I code something, if the original sucks, I toss it.

Believe it or not, the "OSF thought Linux was messy enough" _IS_ one
of the justifications that the OSF folks use to explain why they
ported linux.  It wasn't just pulled out of Ken's hat.  (They
mentioned this in their presentation at the free software conference.)

The reasoning was something like "BSD servers on top of mach has been
done to death by others, so let's do something more challenging..."

cgd