Subject: Re: TCP connections
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/1996 10:59:47
>			    TCP connections shouldn't survive 24 hours of
>   interruption in network connectivity.  In fact, I believe there are
>   standards that would be violated all over the place by allowing this
>   sort of thing.  Perhaps you should get the TCP RFC and read it?
>
>Maybe I should, but I don't really see what harm is done if we choose to
>violate some such standard internally.

The reason rlogin dies quickly is that by default, it turns on TCP keep-alive
which "pings" the connection every once in a while (actually, I belive
it's rlogind that turns it on).  Assuming that TCP keep-alives are not
turned on and no traffic is being sent, TCP connections should survive
a connection loss just fine.

--Ken