Subject: Re: TCP connections
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/1996 00:35:31
On Feb 11,  9:33pm, "Scott L. Burson" wrote:
}
}    Why not just reconnect?
}
} Oh -- I guess I left out a key piece of information: we use large,
} long- running CASE applications here that build up large amounts of
} state within the process (250MB process sizes are not unusual around
} here).  It can be a major hassle to rebuild that state after logging
} out and logging back in.  This is exactly what we are trying to
} avoid.

     In this case, you should look at using screen,
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/screen-3.7.1.tar.gz.  It will let you keep a
session running across logins.

}    sort of thing.  Perhaps you should get the TCP RFC and read it?
}
} Maybe I should, but I don't really see what harm is done if we choose to
} violate some such standard internally.

     Simple, things tend to break big time when you make such
egregrious violations of the standard.

}-- End of excerpt from "Scott L. Burson"