Subject: Re: FYI -- Linux for PowerMac (fwd)
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
From: None <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 22:13:00

> > The fact that the Linux people get the jump on us for the PowerMac port.
>
> Yeah, maybe a few months.  So what?

If getting there "first" wasn't important, Intel wouldn't control the
PC motherboard market.

> > The fact that the OSF and Apple both believe Linux to be "Real" and they
> > ignored us.
>
> Nope.  The fact is, OSF thought Linux was messy enough to make porting
> interesting, or, using their own word, "challenging".  Porting BSD was
> a piece o' cake for them, so they boldly went where no one has gone
> before (I know there's been a group of people working on Linux server
> on CMU MK for x86, but my impression is that OSF didn't reuse the
> existing Linux server code).

That's strange. When I code something, if the original sucks, I toss it.

> > The fact that Linux is moving into our area (multi-platform support) and we
> > are helpless to compete with them when they are getting info direct from
> > Apple.
>
> Why are we helpless?  After all, they are going to release the source
> to the general public on the net.  Besides, Linux has been supporting
> more than one platform for a while now, though the degree of source
> integration seems much less than that of NetBSD.  Also, Linux people
> aren't working on the port; OSF is working on the port, getting info
> directly from Apple.  Got that?

They still get the jump on us. Anyway, does this mean that there is
no central Linux kernel source base? That Linus doesn't hold the
ultimate control anymore?

Geeze, and people talk about BSD fragmenting. At least we are polite
enough to come up new names for our fragments.

> I don't understand why you sound so pesimistic.  Probably because you
> really don't have any idea what's going on.

Well, that's part of it. The other part is that I haven't had a
strings of good nights sleep in a large number of months. That'll
work out, though. I have pills for that, along with a bottle of
happy pills.

If I do say anything really mean, just think to yourself:
"Geeze, he needs to take his happy pills" and then try not
to get *to* pissed off at me.

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com