Subject: Re: FYI -- Linux for PowerMac (fwd)
To: Ken Nakata <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu, kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 22:41:49
> If getting there "first" wasn't important, Intel wouldn't control the
> PC motherboard market.

Intel wasn't the first to manufacture PC motherboards.  Microsoft
wasn't the first to offer GUI for the mass market, either.  What's
your point?

> That's strange. When I code something, if the original sucks, I toss it.

That's my impression as well.  But that's what they say, and I can't
change what they say.  Whay are you whinning without even knowing
what Apple and OSF say?  It's all on the net.

> They still get the jump on us. Anyway, does this mean that there is
> no central Linux kernel source base? That Linus doesn't hold the
> ultimate control anymore?

This means there is NO Linux KERNEL on MK/Linux for PowerMacs.
Theoretically, there is NO Linux in the kernel itself.  The kernel is
a PowerMac port of the OSF Mach microkernel.  So, I don't think Linus
will have any control whatsoever on a kernel which isn't derived from
his own work.  Well, he shouldn't, should he?

Also, We should be able to recompile and run Lites(*) on top of the
OSF kernel immediately after it becomes available (well, theoretically
again) and forget about the Linux server forever if you like.

*: Lites is a UN*X server based on 4.4BSD Lite, running on top of Mach
MK

ken