Subject: Re: FYI -- Linux for PowerMac (fwd)
To: der Mouse <kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu, mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 17:31:04
> The fact that the Linux people get the jump on us for the PowerMac port.

Yeah, maybe a few months.  So what?

> The fact that the OSF and Apple both believe Linux to be "Real" and they
> ignored us.

Nope.  The fact is, OSF thought Linux was messy enough to make porting
interesting, or, using their own word, "challenging".  Porting BSD was
a piece o' cake for them, so they boldly went where no one has gone
before (I know there's been a group of people working on Linux server
on CMU MK for x86, but my impression is that OSF didn't reuse the
existing Linux server code).

> The fact that Linux is moving into our area (multi-platform support) and we
> are helpless to compete with them when they are getting info direct from
> Apple.

Why are we helpless?  After all, they are going to release the source
to the general public on the net.  Besides, Linux has been supporting
more than one platform for a while now, though the degree of source
integration seems much less than that of NetBSD.  Also, Linux people
aren't working on the port; OSF is working on the port, getting info
directly from Apple.  Got that?

I don't understand why you sound so pesimistic.  Probably because you
really don't have any idea what's going on.

ken