Subject: [comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc] Re: WaveLan driver for FreeBSD?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 19:05:05
Any takers on pulling this into NetBSD?  (Having the hardware would
certainly help :)

==John

From: sklower@oboe.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower)
Subject: Re: WaveLan driver for FreeBSD?
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 8 Feb 1996 23:39:35 GMT

In article <4fagvj$c8n@redwood.cs.sc.edu>, Kevin Brown  <kbrown> wrote:
>Is there an existing WaveLan device driver for FreeBSD?  I'm getting a WaveLan
>card soon and I need to get it set up.  I know that Linux has a driver but I
>really don't want to switch to Linux from BSD.

Hari Balakrishnan, a graduate student here did a BSDI driver, (for the
use of the mobile computing group here).  They gave me permission to
put various versions of the driver out for anonymous ftp from

    vangogh.cs.berkeley.edu:~ftp/pub/kls/wavelan

There is normal version wl.c, a pcmcia version wlp.c, a 2.4 gigahertz
versions wlg.c.  It will probably take some hacking for FreeBSD, but
far less than starting with the linux version.

>If there is no current driver, how hard would it be for someone with no device
>driver experience to port the Linux driver to BSD?  (impossible?)  I looked at
>the Linux code and it's 2300 lines of unpleasantness.

I'ld recommend somebody who had already done some kernel hacking to do the
job.  It isn't that it hard, but the conventions are different from user-level
programming and it takes a while to get used to.