Subject: virtual memory exhausted
To: CHAN Yiu Wah <clarence@cs.cuhk.hk>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 14:44:44
>>>>> "CHAN" == CHAN Yiu Wah <clarence@cs.cuhk.hk> writes:

CHAN> Hello, I recently tried to compile the dicom package under
CHAN> netbsd-current using gcc-2.7.2. with the virtual memory
CHAN> exhausted. Then I increased the real memory up to 32M and tried
CHAN> again, but virtual memory exhausted appeared again. Is there any
CHAN> procedures to do for increasing the real memory so that the
CHAN> system can address them. Can anyone share with me. Thanks.

	In general, adding physical memoory will not help you with an
out of virtual memory problem.  It could... but what you're trying to
is to add enough memory to overcome the problem --- which might
require (in the case of gcc) infinite amounts of memory... or
practically infinite amounts of memory.

	I have known gcc to grow without bound on certain input on
various platforms.  Try turning off optmization... that often works.
If not, try running something like 'top' that lets you watch which
process are growing in size.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |