Subject: Re: virtual memory exhausted !!!
To: CHAN Yiu Wah <clarence@cs.cuhk.hk>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 09:28:41
> I recently compile a software packages called dicom (medical image
> processing software).  My system told me that the virtual memory
> exhausted (16M real memory). Then I added another 16M (total 32M) and
> tried again. The same error (virtual memory exhausted) appeared.  As I
> know, 32M real memory is enough to cmpile the dicom packages (It stated
> in the installation note only 24M is ok). My system configuration is as
> followings: -
>
>   1. Is there any procedures for increasing the memeory so that the
> additonal memeory be recognised.

You might be running into per-process user resource limits.

NetBSD places limits on the maximum size of the data and stack segments
of a process.  Even if there is enough VM in the machine to handle a
big process, the limits prevent any single process from hogging the system.

In the C shell, try:

limit datasize

If the number printed seems too small, then you will have to increase it.