Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: None <franklin@elfie.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 18:12:43
   From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
   Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 01:01:32 -0500 (EST)
   Cc: greywolf@captech.com, jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com,
           mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU, current-users@NetBSD.ORG

   > }  * So, you're going to stand up in front of 12 people chosen from the population
   > }  * at large and inform them that "million" means 1,048,576 instead of 1,000,000?
   >
   > I can hardly wait for SIMM makers to start advertising 4Mx9 SIMMs holding
   > 4.7 MB.

   I'm not sure this isn't already done.  My machine at work runs through
   it's power-on memory check and tell me my 16M are 16,000k.  What happend
   to the other 384K?

On a slightly different note -- you know these floppies that are universally
spoken of as holding "1.44MB"?  The number, of course, is actually 1440kB =
1.44 * 1000 * 1024 bytes.  We should at least write "1.44kkB" to indicate that
one of the k's is decimal and the other is binary!

-- Scott