Subject: Re: NetBSD i386 bounce-buffer non-feature [was Re: Memory leak?]
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 12:17:39
On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, John F. Woods wrote:

> Amigas evidently also get to suffer the ills of ISA.
>
> > A pci-to-isa bridge is part of [CHRP] ...
> > So we (future) CHRP users will be interested in isa support too, and
> > these problems, and thus it's a bit bigger than machine-dep. Though I do
> > think it's probably just the isa code, not the whole OS, which is ill.
>
> The actual devices you mentioned as being on the ISA bus by default do not
> use ISA busmaster DMA, hence are not limited (necessarily) to 16MB (the
> soundblaster, at any rate, requires an external DMA engine, and they'll
> presumably just spec the functionality of the PC DMA chip, which is a piece
> of junk but at least allows more than 24 address lines into memory).  Also,
> the PCI bus is pretty feature-rich, and though I kind of doubt it, it's
> at least conceivable that PCI-to-ISA bridges could include mapping registers,
> meaning that the model "isa == bounce-buffers" would not be correct.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say "isa == bounce-buffers", just that
"isa == i386" is not correct. Your coment above indicates that Amigas too
affirm that i386 is a subset of isa.

You could well be right that the PCI bridge would (might) reduce
the bounce-buffer problems for CHRP systems.

Take care,

Bill