Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
From: None <kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 14:29:51

> > }  * So, you're going to stand up in front of 12 people chosen from the population
> > }  * at large and inform them that "million" means 1,048,576 instead of 1,000,000?
> >
> > I can hardly wait for SIMM makers to start advertising 4Mx9 SIMMs holding
> > 4.7 MB.
>
> I'm not sure this isn't already done.  My machine at work runs through
> it's power-on memory check and tell me my 16M are 16,000k.  What happend
> to the other 384K?

It's hiding under the I/O hole on the PC. It's between 640k-1meg.

Some motherboards can remap this memory to above 1mb. (Some people WITH
16mb of ram and an isa scsi card have been having problems because the
board remapped the ram to above 1meg, pushing ram above 16meg).

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com