Subject: Re: ppp, named, DNS
To: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
From: Per Fogelstrom <pefo@enea.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 17:43:34

> The problem is, once I get connected I can't do anything on the network
> unless I know the IP address of the computer I'm trying to reach!  Any name
> address that isn't specified in my /etc/hosts file comes back as "host
> unknown".  The computer doesn't even _try_ to look for the DNS.

DNS is not required unless you have routing to your local net. Try to
add the file "/etc/resolv.conf" that should contain:

domain <the.domain.you.are.using, you might have an own?>
nameserver <numeric ip address of your isp's name server>

well domain is not really necessary unless you have hosts on that
domain that you want to address without domain name suffix....