Subject: ppp, named, DNS
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1996 17:27:43
Today I finally got around to configuring pppd and chat to connect NetBSD to
my internet provider by modem.  Even though there is no /etc/ppp/ directory
in the source tree I was able to manufacture an options file and a modem
script by studying the man pages, and I can now connect to XMission without
any difficulty.

The problem is, once I get connected I can't do anything on the network
unless I know the IP address of the computer I'm trying to reach!  Any name
address that isn't specified in my /etc/hosts file comes back as "host
unknown".  The computer doesn't even _try_ to look for the DNS.

I've tried setting up named, which was my best guess for a program to access
a DNS server.  But I've had no luck, and I can't even make heads or tails of
the named.boot file even though I've stared at the named man page and the
existing /etc/namedb/* files for hours.

(BTW: named seems to expect its boot file to be /etc/named.boot, even though
it's installed in /etc/namedb/named.boot)

Can anybody tell me how to set this up so that NetBSD knows to look for
XMission's DNS for undefined names?
Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown