Subject: Re: serious routing problems..
To: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley14.res.iastate.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1996 22:03:36
>im not really sure why, but this is the second time this has happened.  i
>just could not reach anything past our gateway.  it was still pingable though.
>the wierd thing is, both me and a friend have a machine on this network,
>and both of them have done this at the same time.  again.  whats the deal
>here?  why does it just decide to quit every now and then?  i have tried
>everything, but nothing fixes the problem but a reboot..

Have you considered trying to turn off RFC 1323 timestamp stuff and
seeing if the net likes you better?  You can try editing
/sys/net/netinet/tcp_subr.c and setting tcp_do_rfc1323 to 0, then
rebuilding and installing your kernel.  There is also an easier way to
change this at run time with sysctl, but I can never remember the name
of the variable (you might be able to find it just experimenting
around).

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...