Subject: Re: tmp in mfs and swap
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1996 08:55:49
On Wed, 07 Feb 1996 10:59:55 -0500
 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

 > Hold on a second, folks.
 >
 > I thought that the whole point of a ram disk was that it allocated
 > real memory and an MFS allocated virtual memory, thus making the ram
 > disk suitable for things like installs and MFS suitable for every day
 > use. Am I crazy here?

Actually, I think it can do either.  For intalls, a small
machine-dependent chunk of the driver allocates (turned on my a kernel
option) a chunk of the data segment, which a separate program later
injects an image into for use when the kernel boots.  Hoever, the ramdisk
can also use memory in the same manner as MFS.