Subject: Re: strange error message with current sendmail
To: None <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1996 11:24:21
>From: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
>Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 13:13:25 +0000 (GMT)

>Jan 26 02:00:49 cybersil sendmail[382]: My unqualified host name (cybersil) unknown; sleeping for retry
>Jan 26 02:01:50 cybersil sendmail[382]: unable to qualify my own domain name (cybersil) -- using short name

>This is on a HP 9000-400T running NetBSD current. I have alos an Amiga 3000
>with current where this problem does not appear. I did not get such
>messages before the new sendmail was introduced.

I got these messages too.  I think they resulted from the BIND update,
not sendmail.  One or both of the following eliminated them for me:

1) Add a FQDN for your machine to /etc/hosts.  So, if your /etc/hosts
has a line that looks like:

A.B.C.D		cybersil

replace it with:

A.B.C.D		cybersil.uka.de cybersil

2) Add a line to /etc/resolv.conf containing:

lookup	file bind

so the the resolver will use /etc/hosts before querying the
nameserver.

I'm still not sure how DNS is supposed to work, though.  I assign my
machine a bogus IP number in /etc/hosts because my ISP dynamically
assigns IP numbers to PPP connections.  If I execute

ping `hostname`

No responses are received.  How do other people with dynamically
assigned IP numbers deal with this?
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel