Subject: How do I get a make distrib?
To: Marc Rassbach <marcbsd@milestonerdl.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1996 10:01:31
Marc Rassbach writes:
> What I'm looking to do is be able to gen a system based off of downloading
> the src.tar.gz files, make a series of bin.tar.gz binaries to install like
> are shipped with 1.0 and 1.1 official release.
>
> Pls point me in the right direction.

I hate to say this, but this is one of those things that requires
enough poking around that if you can't figure it out for yourself you
probably won't manage it. However, the steps are  basically...

1) use make build from /usr/src, along with DESTDIR and similar
   variables to install into a shadow tree.
2) use "make distribution" in src/etc to complete the installation of
   the files into the shadow tree.
3) (OPTIONAL) to make things maximally clean, you might want to
   install the sources in your shadow, chroot to it, and make build in
   it in order to assure that you've built the distribution with all
   the tools in the distribution, but this isn't strictly needed.
4) Don't use the tools in the makefile in src/etc to package things
   up, instead use the tools in src/distrib. Tools in there will, for
   instance, help you build boot floppies for port i386 or similar
   gadgets, and the tools in there allow you to package up the tar
   files for your distribution. Stuff in there is not 100% guaranteed
   to work, however, and building the security distribution is totally
   broken.

You are going to hae to figure out a bunch of stuff along the way, but
if you aren't equiped to figure the things out you probably won't be
able to fix the bugs you will encounter along the way, and you WILL
encounter bugs without doubt.

Perry