Subject: Re: Kernel compile 100 times faster (this sound provocating,doesnt it?:)
To: None <michaelv@HeadCandy.com, mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1996 16:40:13
der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> wrote:
> This reminds me of "precompiled headers".  The Microsoft C++ compiler
> has excellent support for precompiled headers.  And, from someone who
> rebuilds large projects on a regular basis, I can tell you that they
> cut down on compile time immensely (especially with all the scattered
> about include files that Win32, MAPI, and all their APIs suck in).
>
> I think it's way out of the scope for any of the NetBSD teams to
> create a header precompiler for GNU cc or c++.  But it would be a
> really cool thing for someone to work on in cooperation with the GNU
> folks.

I did this once for the DECUS CPP, so that I could develop and compile
NetHack 2.3 on my AmigaOS machine with only 2.5 meg of memory (no VM)
and 2 880K floppy drives. It is actually fairly easy. The main thing
is to do the preprocessing and regenerate #defines at the end for
everything that is still defined. cccp's (cpp's) -Dd option does
*almost* exactly that (it doesn't cope with #undefs correctly for this
purpose).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ There are no lemurs in this post    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl