Subject: Re: Memory leak?
To: Alec H. Peterson <chuckie@panix.com>
From: Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1996 16:29:40

    Alec> One thing that kills it for some reason is named.  We are
    Alec> running a dedicated name server machine, and all it is
    Alec> running is named.  Sometimes there is something like 40MB of
    Alec> swap claimed, and the aparent sum total of the processes is
    Alec> something like 15MB.  The machine has 16MB of RAM.

named can definately take up a lot of memory.  Especially if say a
web-server is using it.  My named running locally on my web server
(hpux, not netbsd) has been known to grow to 15megs or more.  to
prevent this, don't use a caching name server (I don't know if netbsd
can do this or not...  never looked).
                                                                _____
Wes Hardaker                                                   / ___ \
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering             / /   \//\
University of California at Davis        __________________  \--/    /--\
Davis CA  95616                         /     Recycle!     \  \//\___/ /
(hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu)             / It's not too late! \   \_____/