Subject: Re: swap with "diskless" boot
To: None <netbsd@hopf.math.purdue.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1996 11:38:02
> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 22:49:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: Clarence Wilkerson <netbsd@hopf.math.purdue.edu>

> I would like to boot off the net, but use the swap partition of
> my local hard drive as swap. This is on a sparc booting off
> another sparc, with the clinet running netbsd 1.1 and the boot host
> Sunois 4.1.3.
>
> When I do what seems obvious, leaving the swap line out of the
> /etc/bootparams on the boot host, and putting
>	 /dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0
> in the /etc/fstab of the bootimage, the
> boot goes quite aaways and then I get an RPC timeout to the boot host.
>
> If I use the conventional "swap" file on the boot host, it works.
>
> Help? Clarence Wilkerson

Unfortunately, the current nfs_boot.c implementation always tries to
fetch the path name and NFS file handles for BOTH root and swap,
even if the swap handle will not be used.

To work around this problem, make a zero-length swap file in your
root directory (or anywhere) and list that in /etc/bootparams.

Gordon