Subject: Re: tmp in mfs and swap
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1996 09:02:40
> On Sun, 04 Feb 1996 11:37:47 -0800
>  "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:
>
>  > Have you ever tried using the -pipe flag as a default build flag?  It
>  > should nullify any need to run mfs /tmp, at least for compiling.  I'd
>  > be curious if it makes a difference in your case.  (Is there any
>  > reason -pipe isn't default in sys.mk?  Does it use up *that* much more
>  > memory while building?)
>
> I could be a real lose on 4mb sun3/50 systems...

Using -pipe is a big win. On a system with not enough RAM, and not using
-pip, the stuff gets written to intermidiate files. If this is an MFS /tmp
then this is swap, else it is ordinary file system. On a system with less
memory and -pipe the processes get swapped. If the swapper/pager is good
enough then what is the difference ?

On a system with lots of mem -pipe is a major winner. My default editing
procedure for config generated Makefiles.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465