Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: None <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 19:27:57
> A DB-50?  You mean something that looks like a stretch DB-25, with pins
> and everything?  What the hell uses that?  (Or is this a Sun, with that
> tiny mutant three-row connector?)

DB-50 is fairly common, actually (I had a hard time finding a
Centronics-50 conversion cable when a Toshiba CD-ROM showed up with
C50's instead of the DB-50's we'd ordered...) A DB-50 is about the
size of a centronics 50, and has 3 rows of pins. (I'm pretty sure R^2
used to use DB-50's by default...)

The Sun mutant-micro-50, or the DEC mutant-micro-DIFFERENT-50, have
been less common in my experience (usually your first cable is from
sun micro-pin to something "real" meaning either db50 or cent50, and
if you have to chain from there, use one of the big ones.) But of
course, my experience in such things has mostly been with sun
equipment, and pre 1995 drives ("when a gig of disk was a full height
unit"... it's so hard to be nostalgic about 2 years ago :-)

One cable vendor recently sent a catalog with pictures of all of the
SCSI connectors I'd *ever* seen, with names and comments (and their
part numbers of course :-) I'll see if I can dig it up and see if they
have more specifics on the "alternate" types.