Subject: Re: Kernel compile 100 times faster (this sound provocating,doesnt it?:)
To: None <chammer@hermes.hrz.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 16:44:09
> Perhaps somebody with gcc sources is willing to add a "time cpp" and
> "time cc1" ,etc option (-cpptime or something)to gcc and try compiling

Easier than you think: just pass -save-temps and look at the
timestamps on the files. (If nothing else is running, wall clock time
is good enough for such a benchmark.) If you want times for the
individual cc1 passes, "info gcc" M Invoking and look at the -dx
flags.

> My experience with Motif eg. are that the inclusion of Headerfiles

Motif style turns out to be an extreme case for C; the kernel and most
if not all BSD-supplied programs (I was about to say "most if not all
*useful* programs" but I'm being generous) are nowhere *near* that
cpp-intensive. (Only C++ tends to get you more cpp activity on
average, though Interviews is even an extreme case of that...)

> Perhaps somebody with gcc sources is willing to add a "time cpp" and

And why don't *you* have the gcc sources? They are available, you know :-)

> I don't have numbers and must say i added a ":)" because i don't

Please try actually performing some experiments next time you have
such a proposal... it's less embarassing for everyone involved :-)

			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens