Subject: Re: Kernel compile 100 times faster (this sound provocating,doesnt it?:)
To: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
From: Carsten Hammer <chammer@phyhammer>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1996 12:33:05
Operating System: NetBSD 1.1A amiga

> but I'd like to see what numbers you've got that
> indicate that it would help at all. Preprocessor time is negligible

I don't have numbers and must say i added a ":)" because i don't
wanted anybody to take this "100 times faster" too seriously.

My experience with Motif eg. are that the inclusion of Headerfiles
(even when not using XmAll.h) is *the* factor in turn around time
when compiling Motif programs (HP9000/735,Dec-Alpha,..).
And even if this is not the case for "not Motif" programs it
might be an important point. I don't say it is *the* point
but maybe one point.

Perhaps somebody with gcc sources is willing to add a "time cpp" and
"time cc1" ,etc option (-cpptime or something)to gcc and try compiling
a kernel with it.  I fear it is not trivial to substitute the "cpp"
call in gcc with a "time cpp" call in gcc, is it?

As i dont know anything about precompiled headers (what happens to defines there?)
i dont want to focus anybodys interest on such an "intermediate solution" as my
suggestion only could be.
thanks for your interest,
ciao
Carsten