Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1996 06:32:12
>> [...zip drive...]  (Well, almost.  There's cabling - what
>> _possessed_ them to use that bizarre nonstandard pinout, and just
>> _try_ to find cables to hook it up to a scsi chain that ends with a
>> D"B"-50.  [...])

> You're refering to the DB-25 for SCSI inputs?

Yeah, the zip drive has two DB25s on it.

> I'm not sure about their pinouts, but Apple was possessed, probably
> by cheep and narrow plugs, to make the standard Mac SCSI port be a
> DB-25. :-) I bet IOmega just used the same pinouts (in fact they must
> have as I hooked one onto my mac by unplugging the SCSI cable from
> the mac, hooking the ZIP to the mac, and hooking the external SCSI
> chain to the ZIP).

Well, the zip drive comes with a cable with a DB25 on each end,
designed to hook the thing up to a Mac.  But if you reverse that cable
end-for-end, it stops working (or so I'm told by someone who tried it
accidentally), so _something_ funny is going on.  You've used a
DB25-to-DB25 SCSI cable between Mac and zip drive and it's worked?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu