Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: None <greywolf@CAPTECH.COM>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1996 23:18:26
>In any case, the upper limit of I/O on EISA is still 33 MHz, last I looked.

33MB/s, actually.

8.25MHz * 32 bits, in burst mode, one 32-bit transfer per bus cycle
(as opposed to ISA: ~8MHz * 16 bits, no burst mode, two bus cycles per
transfer - ~8MB/s; or PCI: 33MHz * 32 bits, in burst mode, one 32-bit
transfer per bus cycle - 132MB/s).

>I used to have a kernel in 12 minutes on a 486/66 512MB IDE, 16MB RAM.
>I don't think 6 minutes would be out of the question on a PCI '586.

That's a very old kernel.  I can build a modern kernel in around 30
minutes on a 486DX2/80, 512K write-back cache, 20MB RAM, EISA SCSI.

But, two years ago, I could also build a kernel in just over 30
minutes on a 33MHz 486DLC, 64K write-thru cache, 13MB RAM, EISA SCSI.

Needless to say, the kernel sources have changed considerably since
then.  Not to say that I haven't added lots of the cool tools that
have been available in the interum. :-)

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...