Subject: scsi device configuration
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1996 23:21:11
When configuring a kernel, how does one assign specific scsi disk devices
to specific scsi ID's?  My machine only has one scsi bus, and I'd rather
not have /dev/sd2 move around depending on which drives are powered up...
(I want to hardwire bus 0, target 0, lun 0 to /dev/sd0, target 1 to
/dev/sd1, etc.)

I'm running current-mac68k.  The (hopefully) relevant lines in my
existing config file are:

ncrscsi0    at mainbus?

scsibus*    at scsi?
sd*    at scsibus? target ? lun ?

I've tried a couple of likely variations, but they either didn't link
or didn't run properly, and running "make depend" isn't really _that_
much fun.  :-)

BTW, at least on the mac68k port (which, I believe, doesn't yet run on
any machines with multiple scsi busses), would it make more sense to
configure the distributed kernel this way?  Most people seem to know what
scsi IDs their devices have, but I've seen a lot of confusion on the list
about the scsi id -> device node mapping system.

-- monroe