Subject: Re: NeXT file systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1996 20:36:00
George Michaelson writes:
>Hidden in this reply is an interesting snippet I think should go into a
>(7) cdrom man page, if its true you can't read big-endian byte order FFS
>CD's on little-endian CPUs and vice-versa.

Yup.  You can't access FFS file systems on a machine with different
byte order.

>gee.. could we have a small fs layer that byteswapped so we can cross-mount
>between different architectures?

That code would have to live in the FFS layer.  Or someone has to
factor out the byte order dependent operations and call appropriate
conversion routines through a function vector.

I hear NeXT is writing big-endian filesystems on all machines.
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.