Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: CHAN Yiu Wah <clarence@cs.cuhk.hk>
From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 16:05:48

> I recent got a zip drive 100M for testing and find the following error
> message.
>
> =========================== Start of error message =======================
> aha0 targ 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA, ZIP 100, N*32> SCSI2 0/direct removable
> sd2 at scsibus0sd2(aha0:5:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
>  00 00 ff fe 01 01 f2 00 00
> sd2: could not mode sense (4); using fictitious geometry
> : 96MB, 96 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec
> =========================== End of Error message ===========================
>
> Is there anyone have the same problem ?

This is "normal" for the ZIP drive.  I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't
answer the "mode sense" properly, but the geometry you end up with is the
right one (96/64/32).  The solution is to ignore this error message and
proceed.

BTW, I'd be interested to hear (off the mailing list) how successful you
are with your ZIP drive.  I've had some trouble with mine, but it might
have been due just to SCSI cabling problems and the like.  I'm just trying
to keep a talley of how many people have succeeded/had trouble with ZIP
drives.

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~pavel/