Subject: Re: Creeping Feature of the week...
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 10:51:00
On Wed, 31 Jan 96 13:23:18 EST
 Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU wrote:

 > I think you may have a different definition of 'cool' than I do...

Quite possibly, yes :-)

 > Even if you _wanted_ to do binary translation or binary emulation, you
 > shouldn't to do it in the kernel, and there's no great _benefit_ to
 > doing it in the kernel.

Over lunch yesterday, Stu and I were tossing ideas around that could
greatly improve the performance of his emulator.  We came up with at
least a couple of reasons why having a virtual machine run in the kernel
was a good idea (for some definition of good idea), one of which is
access to kernel facilities which just aren't available to user-space
(pick any number of such facilities...we were focusing on those
pertaining to I/O).

Anyhow, it might be fun to LKM such a virtual machine for two pretty good
reasons:

	- proof of concept
	- sick, twisted, cool hack

Pick the one that's more important to you.  :-)

If course, this all depends on how much time you have to work on such
silliness, but whatever :-)