Subject: Re: tmp in mfs and swap
To: Jesus M. Gonzalez <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 15:09:27
On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Jesus M. Gonzalez wrote:

> 	I've moved to use /tmp in memory file system (BTW, I've
> seen a great performance gain, specially when compiling).
> But now I'd like to use the previous /tmp partition as a swap
> partition. I've tried, after the fstab(5) manpage,
> to use "none" as the mount point, but mount -a doesn't seem to
> recoginize it on bootstrap (non existent mount point, or something
> like that). Should I do something more to "prepare" the partition?
> Is the man page wrong?
>
> 	On the other hand, swapon manpage talks a bout "sw" in
> /etc/fstab. I've also tried that, and it also doesn't work.
> None of the many combinations I've tried for fstab allows "swapon -a"
> to use /dev/wd0e for swapping.

Have you enabled swapping on wd0e in the kernel configuration file? Use
(quoted from memory, may be a bit off):
  config netbsd root on wd0a swap on wd0b and wd0e"

The fstab file sould be something like:
  /dev/wd0b       none  swap  sw 0 0
  /dev/wd0e       none  swap  sw 0 0

Swapon -a should do the right thing then.

Peter