Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 16:27:21
On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, der Mouse wrote:

[description of ZIP fictitious geometry problem deleted]
> > Is there anyone have the same problem ?
>
> Yes, I do.

We get this question a lot on the Mac68k list. Could the Zip be added to
the list of stupid drives? Or is there a list for this particular stupidity?

> > I would like you to share with me and teach me how to solve it .
>
> There are two problems.

[snip on technical description of ZIP stupidity]
> The other problem is that iomega calls their disks 100MB, while NetBSD
> says they're 96MB.  As far as I can tell, NetBSD is telling the truth
> here and iomega is lying.  If you want this fixed, you'll have to go
> talk to iomega.

Oh. I bet they're going metric. :-) IBM did the same thing a while back
w/ some of its SCSI drives. They took to calling 1 MB = 1000000 bytes,
not the expected 1024*1024 bytes. So 100 10^6 bytes is about 96 2^20 bytes.
:-(

Take care,

Bill