Subject: gcc/gas problems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steinar Birkelund <steinarb@frodo.hiof.no>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 22:41:12
I've not been able to compile anything for the 68040 processor (-m68040)
with gcc. I'm using the gcc version that was included with netbsd1.1
binary distribution. The problem was probably that gas (v1.92.3) didn't
know 040 instructions (seemed to be the floatingpoint ones).

So I downloaded binutils2.6 to get the latest gas, but I can't get the
new version to work at all. This is what happens:

/tmp/cc0000901.o: Invalid bfd target
Assembler messages:
FATAL: Can't create /tmp/cc0000901.o: Invalid bfd target

Please help me out, I have no clue how to solve this problem and I really
would like to 040 optimize my Mesa3D-projects :-)

I'm sorry if this topic don't belong in this mailinglist.

-SB     steinarb@frodo.hiof.no