Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 00:00:29
In article <9601261755.AA18375@vas.viewlogic.com>,
Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@captech.com> wrote:
> I still find it ludicrous that it takes a week to build the kernel.  The
> world, I could see, but a _kernel_?
>
> I mean, according to my calculations (and considering that, until
> recently, the I/O on a VAX blew doors on just about any other machine
> out there), a SS2 is 40 MIPS (simple instruction count).
>
> A VAX was 0.75 MIPS (simple instruction count).
>
> A kernel build on an SS2 takes me about a half-hour to 45 minutes.
>
> A kernel build on a VAX should take AT THE MOST 2 days.
>
> [grumble grumble friggin _week_ grumble grumble]
>
> ...or Have I Missed Something [TM]?

Well it turns out that you're right, but you have missed that you can't
just multiply by the MIPS ratio. Lots of othe rfactors apply, like the
amout of physical memory. How much does the average 11/750 have vs the
average SS2? That could make a huge difference. A 24M 3/60 is much
snappier running X than a 8M IPX, for example.

Anyway, 2 days is still about 47.9 hours too long to change a simple
thing like that.