Subject: Re: NeXT file systems
To: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1996 13:17:15
  In hanse-ml.netbsd.current-users you write:
  >Is there a way to read NeXT format cdroms under netbsd?

  As I remember NeXT-CDs just have a FFS file system on them.
  In theory you should be able to read them on big-endian NetBSD
  machines.

Hidden in this reply is an interesting snippet I think should go into a
(7) cdrom man page, if its true you can't read big-endian byte order FFS
CD's on little-endian CPUs and vice-versa.

I was testing the new atapi driver in my kernel and didn't understand
why an Ultrix cd wouldnt read although I could see strings embedded in
there at the raw device level. Microsloth and StunOS worked fine.

Have I just been given the answer?

gee.. could we have a small fs layer that byteswapped so we can cross-mount
between different architectures? sure would make bootstrapping some of the
dead iron simpler if you could put an old Ultrix SCSI drive onto a PC and
read/write the damn thing.

-George