Subject: Re: AFS server port to NetBSD
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1996 23:36:43
>>Okay, I'll bite.  What's DFS?

>DFS is the OSF distributed file system.  There are other components as
>well, like the ``directory server'' and other somewhat nifty things.
>Nifty as some would say.  I'm not so certain yet.
[...]
>The bad thing about this is that everything is an RPC call.  Even
>telnet sends data around with RPC's in that setup.  Yuck.

(Please no anti-Microsoft flames -- I'm just making a point.)

Most everything I've seen so far in the NT Server BackOffice software
suites is also RPC-based.  In fact, I believe a lot of the Cairo
distributed objects model is RPC based.

RPC may be a fact of life in the distibuted computing/distributed
object future...

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...