Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1996 19:58:40

> In article <9601221839.AA13450@vas.viewlogic.com>,
> James Graham - Systems Mangler <greywolf@captech.com> wrote:
> > A *week* for a kernel rebuild?  What platform out there takes a week to
> > rebuild a kernel?  It sounds like something needs to be fixed somewhere
> > in a _very_ major way.  Even under 4.3 BSD a VAX didn't take a week to
> > rebuild the kernel, and this was an 11/750 -- a 640 KIPS machine.
>
> NetBSD/vax on a 11/750 takes more than a week, from what I read a while
> back on port-vax. Things to keep in mind: it may take longer than 4.3BSD

Not quite right. Rebuilding _the_whole_system_ on an 11/750
takes 9 days, but only rebuilding the kernel takes 16 hours.
(11/750, 8MB ram, RA82 disk). Noticeable is that it takes 9
hours to rebuild a 4.3BSD reno kernel, and 6 hours to rebuild
a kernel under "plain" 4.3BSD on the same machine.
Rebuilding the NetBSD/vax kernel on a MicroVAX 3900 takes 40 minutes :-)

-- Ragge