Subject: Re: where is limfree defined?
To: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 07:48:40
>ObHistory: Domain/OS had a "..." concept; the comos equivalent of
>chown was called something else, but instead of chown -R user ~user
>you used comchown ~user/... user, and the ... was handled (somehow) by
>the "different" Domain/OS filesystem interfaces. Bonus points if this
>makes it clear to you the difference between chown -R and find|xargs
>chown; they *don't* do the same thing...

I don't think anyone had any ill will toward the guy who originally
proposed the recursive grep.  I just think a lot of people felt it
wasn't the Right Thing To Do -- it simply wasn't the cleanest, best
way to accomplish this.

I think this, as well as someone else's post about zsh, points out
probably the most optimal solution: build a recursive globbing
construct into the shell, then put that glob onto the command line for
*any* command when you want recursion in your file specification.
Certainly seems much cleaner to me (not that I have any problems using
find/xargs).

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...